Friday 14 October 2011

First day in Vernon Street darkroom...

Today group B had our induction in the darkroom.  We learned the process of developing film, getting the film onto the spool in the tank, mixing the correct amount of developer and water, keeping it at 20 degrees etc.  We then made contact sheets, cutting the negatives up into strips of 6 frames, and putting them into the glass negative holder.

We then learnt the chemical process of developing the photographic paper.  90 seconds in the developer, 30 seconds in the stop bath; being careful not to put the tongs from the developer into the stop bath, then back into the developer.  Then the paper goes into the fixer for 5 minutes, and then throughout the magic hole in the wall, into the wash baths for 20 mins.


This is the contact sheet that I produced.  It enabled me to see the images that I had taken, and decide which ones I want to print.  

This is the test strip for the two print below.  The lightest section is a 5 second exposure, and the sections increase in exposure by 5.  This is always a good idea to do, as it helps you to work out the exposure time for the final print.  

This is the first print that I made.. The exposure settings for this were f/2.8, 18 seconds, grade 3.  I am very pleased the overall print, apart from the minor blemishes on it (caused by chemical residue on my fingers, oops!), but when I looked at it in the daylight, I thought it looked flat in regards to tones and contrast.  

 This is the second and final print that I did.  The exposure for this print were f/2.8, 18 seconds, grade 4.5.    I much prefer this print, as it is much more contrasty (and more contrasty on my screen).  I am really happy with this print, but I may print it again, just to get it perfect :)

1 comment:

  1. Love this image :D
    Also like the one on your contact sheet of the sky!
    I think you should print that one in the darkroom

    ReplyDelete